Course MapsNo course maps posted yet.
Organizer: Thomas Graupner (Event Director)
Thank you to everyone who participated! If you didn't make it out, the event can still be accessed in MapRun. Contact me if you want a PDF copy of the map.
This is a virtual event where punching is done with the MapRun smartphone app.
The event can be completed any time from now until November 30, 2021.
The recommended parking location is along John Bruce Rd E. The map below shows the start location.
Registrants will receive a PDF copy of the map for printing. Viewing the map on your phone is also possible.
To participate, you must be a 2021 member of the MOA: http://www.orienteering.mb.ca/membership.html
It is not necessary to complete a declaration of health for this event.
This event is free for MOA members, but the organizer suggests donating to the MapRun developers.
This is a standard point-to-point course where you must visit all the controls in order. Extraneous punches are okay. For example, if you visit 1-3-2-3-4-2-5, you have still visited controls 1-5 in order.
Your time starts as soon as you are near the start location (the triangle on the map) and stops when you are near the finish location (the double circles on the map). Whoever completes the course in the fastest time is the winner.
Using the MapRun app
- Download the free MapRun6 app from the Apple App Store or Google Play Store.
- Open the app and enter your name and other details.
- Click Select Event > Canada > Manitoba > Bois des Esprits 2021.
- The event should now be downloaded onto your phone so the course can be completed without a data connection.
- When ready to start, click Go to Start.
- Your time should start once you are near the start triangle. (Make sure this happens!)
- When you visit each control location, your phone should beep and vibrate and the visited control circles will become green.
- Your time will stop once you are near the finish location. Do not go near the finish until you are done!!!
- If you don't have a data connection, open the app when you have Wi-Fi again to get your result uploaded.
Make sure your phone is fully charged beforehand as the GPS will drain the battery.
See the following video for a demonstration: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMseXJZEk_8
The forest cover at Bois des Esprits may reduce GPS reception, so do what you can to give your phone a good view of the sky.
The course is designed so that you do not need to go off-trail in the woods.
Bois des Esprits is a busy place. Please watch out for large groups of people, other runners, cyclists, and dog walkers.
Some of the trails are harder to see due to leaf cover. The leaves may also hide roots and other tripping hazards, so be careful when running.