Organizer: Thomas Graupner (Organizer)
Map: Birds Hill Group Use
Birds Hill Score-O 2012
This is a 60-minute score event with some special rules, which are described below.
This event will start at the Chickadee parking lot, shown on the map below.
For more information or to register, contact Thomas Graupner (204-347-5764 or firstname.lastname@example.org). You can also register through this web site. Prior registration is not necessary (you can just show up), but is appreciated.
- There are 15 controls numbered 151-165.
- Each control gives you 10 points.
- You can punch the controls in any order.
Time limit and scoring:
- There is a "time limit" of 60 minutes.
- If you are early, you gain 1% of your points per minute.
- If you are late, you lose 5% of your points per minute.
- Try not to be more than a few minutes late. At 5 percent per minute, you will lose 50% of your points if you are 10 minutes late.
- Controls may be collected 80 minutes after you start. (This is the real time limit because your score will be zero at this point.)
- If you get all 15 controls and still have time to spare, you can start punching the controls again!
- If you get a control again by taking a leg that you didn't run (either forwards or backwards) while getting the controls the first time, you will receive double points for that control (an extra 20 points instead of an extra 10 points).
- Punching a control twice in a row does not constitute running a leg. However, the last control of your first pass will automatically count as the first control of your second pass.
- In some cases, you may want to visit a control more than once during the second pass. If any one of your visits is from a leg that you didn't run during the first pass, you will receive the double points.
- Event entry costs $5 for adults, $3 for juniors, and $15 for families.
- Memberships cost $5 for adults and $3 for juniors.
- A membership is required, but this event is free for new 2012 members.
- Avoid damaging any vegetation! Our permit requires that we do not "bushwhack." The controls have been placed so that you can stick to trails and open areas.
- In addition to your compass and SI card, you should take a watch so you're not late. You might also want to take a pen or marker to note where you've been.
- Some SI cards hold only 30 or 36 punches. Remember to clear your card before you start and be careful not to fill it up if you are very fast.
- If you borrow an SI card, don't lose it. They cost $50 to replace.
Points calculation examples
Here are some examples of points calculation. These examples are for a course with only 5 controls. The actual course has 15 controls.
If you punch 1-2-3-4, you get 40 points.
If you punch 1-2-3-4-5, you get 60 points. Control 5 counts twice, but you only get 10 points for the assumed second punch.
If you punch 1-2-3-4-5-4, you get 70 points. Leg 5-4 gives you only 10 points because you ran leg 4-5 during the first pass.
If you punch 1-2-3-4-5-3-5, you get 90 points. Leg 5-3 gives you 20 points, while leg 3-5 gives you the extra 10 points for control 5.
If you punch 1-2-3-4-5-1-3-5-2-4, you get 150 points, the maximum number of points for this 5-control course.
More examples - added September 27th
Here are a few more 5-control-course examples that you may want to read.
If you punch 1-2-3-4-5-4-3-2-1, you get 100 points.
If you punch 1-2-3-4-5-3-1, you get 100 points in fewer punches than the previous example.
If you punch 1-2-3-4-5-1-2-3-4-5, you get 110 points. Leg 5-1 gave you double points. Also, the second leg 4-5 was unnecessary.
If you punch 1-2-3-4-3-5-1-3-5-2-4, you get 140 points. (You shouldn't have punched 3 the second time during the first pass.)
If you punch 1-3-4-5-1-3-5-2-4, you get 80 points. (Forgetting control 2 was costly.)
If you punch 1-2-3-4-5-3-2-4, you get 110 points. Observe that getting control 2 between 3 and 4 gives you 10 points by itself and allows you to get double points for 4.
If you punch 1-2-3-4-5-3-2-4-2, you get 120 points. Even though you already got 2 in the second pass, getting it from a control other than 1 or 3 earns you another 10 points.